I always preferred vBulletin for my forums but after I purchased the upgrade for vBulletin 4.0 for couple of my forums I never upgraded them to vBulletin 4 because I never liked it.
I will mention few reasons why I do not prefer vBulletin 4.0 any more
- Theme development were (and may be is) a headache. If you want a single color change you may first have to search it using vBulletin’s awful front end for CSS and then make changes at so many places. I do not prefer to do that. They have plans to better that in vBulletin 4.1.
- vBulletin 4 is not very stable and has so many bugs. One of them was as simple as Ads in vbblog does not work. I know this is simple but if you are releasing a stable product which is late by 2 years I expect less bugs. This bug I reported was even in vBulletin 3.7+
- I am not sure why but now vBulletin copyright in the footer is linked to vBulletin.com and not just plain text. I do not see a reason to do that.
- vBulletin 4 intentions as I could sense was concentrating on SEO and so I expected better SEO on it but apart from just URL’s everything for SEO was is crap.
- I need brand new theme for vBulletin 4 as old theme becomes almost obsolete.
- vBulletin is not only a forum but includes vBulletin CMS which is again complete piece of crap coding with tons of error. SQL are also not well written to say the least. Apart from that index.php file is not the default one for CMS and you are redirected to content.php and I could not understand why.
- Pricing of vBulletin as a whole is crap. They used to charge same (Not anymore) amount for old version upgrade as a new license. Why on earth would I upgrade if I could get a new license. I raised the concern in the support and it took several months to get it sorted and now I do not plan to go either with upgrade or with a new purchase.
As we had no better alternatives than vBulletin I was certainly thinking what after vBulletin 3.8 reaches end of life which is nearing soon.
Now I have the answer.
It is being developed by the vBulletin lead developer(s) and though it is still in alpha phase looks really promising to me. As I can see from the community it has all I want just in the alpha phase itself.
What are your views on the same? Share your views in comments.
Readers who read this article also read …