Let me share real examples to not only help you understand online reputation management but also give you step by step guide to enhance your online reputation
Online Reputation management is a very common term used by SEO experts these days and so I am going to give you a real life example to help you not only understand online reputation management but also enhance your online reputation.
What is Online Reputation?
When you search on Google for the term Apple, as expected you see everything about the Apple Inc and nothing about the Apple as fruit.
A couple points to notice in the screenshot above.
- Apple beats Wikipedia for the term Apple.
- Apple Inc page of Wikipedia beats the Apple page of Wikipedia
- Online Reputation Management
- The goal of online reputation management is to suppress the negative mentions (or other mentions) by pushing them lower on search engine results pages and push positive mentions higher on search engine results page to decrease the negative visibility of the person, company, business or brand.
Now the same reputation management effect is happening to my Sharekhan PMS Review.
I rank pretty well on Google for the term – Sharekhan PMS review.
But I was pretty much in the first 3 results even for the term Sharekhan PMS but over time my article is being pushed down. Currently is in the 9th spot. I don’t care much but the ranking for the term Sharekhan PMS but this is how you should be working on getting your online reputation managed. Well done Sharekhan. 😀
How to Manage Online Reputation?
The answer to the question how I am being pushed down the search engine results page will help understand how you can manage your online reputation.
- I am seeing lot of one page websites are being created. Domains like www.sharekhan-<keyword>.com. Just to mention few domains – http://www.sharekhan-india.com/, http://www.sharekhan-pms.com/, http://www.sharekhan-tradetiger.com/, http://www.sharekhan-firststep.com/ …
- Those domains are not hosted on the same server as the main site but mainly on different shared hosts. Different IPs and different hosts. You can even make whois private if you want.
- Apart from secondary domains some sub-domains are also created to boost the number of results in the search engine results page. Have some sub-domains for your site that makes sense.
- Build links to positive reviews that are ranked in search engines but not very highly ranked. Find positive reviews that are on second or third page of search engine results page and try building links to those sites to boost their ranking higher to improve your online reputation.
- Create keyword-rich content for the authority website in the niche. This content can rank well in Google almost instantly because of the authority of the website.
Do you know of other ways to improve online reputation? Please share them in the comments.
Further Reading …