Niche is the term used for a product or services that interest’s a smaller group of people. As a freelancer, it is important to find your niche. Niche freelancers have less to no competition.
Niche is the term used for a product or services that interest’s a smaller group of people. The main reason for positioning the product or services such that it is for a smaller group of people to reduce the competition.
The selection of niche for the product or services is critical and is based on the factor – Less competition with large enough market to market their product or services.
Any product in any given industry is designed with an ideal customer in mind. The segment of such customer is a niche for that product. As an example, BMW cars aren’t for everyone and it for a set of customers. So BMW cars target a niche of high net-worth individuals. Similarly, Rolex watches aren’t for everybody either.
Similarly, for a PHP developer, focusing only on PHP frameworks or PHP CMSes is a way to find his or her niche.
In many cases, niches may not even exist and are created by identifying requirements. Here are few examples where niche has been created.
- XenForo didn’t exist a decade ago. The need for a good quality community and forum software and the dismal performance of vBulletin created a market for XenForo.
- AMP for WP plugin took the opportunity of creating a plugin even better than the official WordPress plugin for AMP and created a niche market for its developers.
- Genesis framework for WordPress created a new market for its themes. The framework helps build themes easily and yet keep the same underlying structure for the code and customization.
The list can go on and on for those who have already created the niche for their own business.
As a developer when you create a niche, you keep the competition out of the equation to provide a unique proposition for your product or services.
Take the example of an AMP for WP plugin. Most WordPress developers may be struggling to find new clients but its plugin developers will have a truckload of clients coming their way because if anyone using the plugin faces any issue, the first choice of services will be from the official developers.
- How to Find Your Freelance Niche?
- Why Should Solopreneurs Narrow The Niche?
- How to Promote a Non-Viral Niche Websites on Facebook?
Further Reading …