Is Fiverr a good marketplace for new freelancers who are starting out on freelancing. If yes how can one survive the competition and do quality work for $5
Fiverr is one of the recommended sites for freelancers looking for freelancing work. But, some freelancers find it tough to be working for as little as $5.
What is Fiverr?
The word Fiverr comes from the word, ‘Five’. A service provider lists everything they wish to do it for $5. Fiverr takes a cut of 20% out of it.
The initial reaction of $5 price tag seems very cheap but you can offer extra gigs at higher price points. A marketplace will always be a marketplace. As a freelancer, positioning your services good enough and cut above the competition can mean you have a good source of clients.
Freelancer spends a significant amount of time finding clients. With Fiverr, the client finds you. All you do is create a gig on Fiverr and wait for clients to pour in.
Pros of using Fiverr
The advantages of using Fiverr for finding freelancing clients.
- Fiverr is a huge marketplace and yet one of it’s kind for freelancers. It isn’t like other freelancing sites like Upwork or PeoplePerHour where clients share what they want and freelancers bid for it but it turns the table and allows freelancers to offer their services at their price.
- Fiverr is very simple and easy to get started.
- If you position your gig well enough, orders will pour in and you don’t need to spend time finding clients.
- Upselling works best in Fiverr with extra gigs. Basic gigs along with extra offerings can mean, you make a lot more than $5.
Cons of Using Fiverr
The common disadvantages of using Fiverr
- Fiverr is very easy to start but that makes it a marketplace with lot more freelancers and competition. Everybody is willing to be part of it and prices have been at $5 because you can’t get lower than that.
- Fiverr fees are 20% which is quite higher than other freelancing sites. The $5 gig is effective $4 for a freelancer.
- You can’t share an email address, phone numbers or Skype ID with buyers. The communication is fully on Fiverr that can make life difficult. If you do share other contact details, your account will be restricted and orders will stop coming in.
- The amount of work you may get depends on how well Fiverr positions your gig and their sorting algorithm for particular kind of gigs.
Is Fiverr an Opportunity for new freelancers?
If you Google about “Is Fiverr good for freelancers?“, you will find a lot of content thrash about Fiverr marketplace where clients are looking for cheap work but often it is from the freelancers who haven’t taken up freelancing on Fiverr after reading such reviews and they even write similar content. Search on Fiverr, your opinion is likely to be the same when you see gigs like:
And I agree there are tons of stuff that are cheap and Fiverr pricing has really hit the floor but then in the same niche you will find gigs that aren’t cheap.
And these gigs are best selling gigs from the top-rated sellers. Every freelance marketplace will have freelancers who assume, lowest price wins them clients and forgets positioning the services can make a lot of difference and Fiverr is no difference either.
Fiverr can help kick-start your freelancing career with minimal efforts. As a new freelancer, it is worth the time to put few gigs on Fiverr with a unique perspective and see how things work out. However, if you’re looking to build a freelancing business, you should consider other freelancing sites as well.