Marketing can be challenging task for your business and doing it rightly can take many trial and errors before you learn the best way to market your business. So it’s important that you know some of the most common mistakes you should avoid when you try your hands on marketing. Some of them would sound too simple yet I have seen many people do not focus on them before starting business. So let’s start…
- Not having a marketing plan with a budget – Any business you do, you need to have a good solid marketing plan with considerable budget to execute the plan.
- Not knowing your target audience – You should always know who can be your potential customer. Targeting everyone can end up no where.
- Ignoring your existing contacts – You should always explore your current clients for your new product as this can give you a very good initial boost.
- Ignoring feedback of customers – You should never ignore the feedback’s from your customers because how good you are at your marketing activities you can never should always listen to your customers.
- Trying to following the competition – You should always have an eye on your competitor but then you should lead the competition instead of following what they are doing.
- Not handling customer issues quickly – You should always follow up with your customer as soon as you could.
- Underestimating word of mouth – Satisfied customers can spread your word and so never under-estimate the word of mouth publicity.
Online Marketing Mistakes
- Assuming Content will take care of SEO – SEO is one of the most important aspects of online marketing and you should always have good budget for your SEO work as that would drive constant customers to your business.
- Not so easy to find contact information – Having your contact link on every page of your website is a must because you never know from which page user would need to contact you for any issue he may face.
- Understanding your Money Making venues – If you have a website where you can make money with selling products online you should not have ads that distract from your core message. I have seen many sites which have ads even on the sales page.
- Copying content from other sites – If you want to take your business to next level it has to be of good quality and so try avoid getting content from other sites. It would not take you far enough.
Email Marketing Mistakes
- Spamming – Sending messages to users who have not opted in to receive messages from you.
- Selling your subscribers’ list – Instead of trying to sell your own product to your subscribers’ you sell the subscribers’ contact information for some quick bucks.
- Broken HTML emails in email clients – If you do not user autoresponder like Aweber you need to test your HTML emails and see if they work perfectly fine in all email service provider.
- Making it hard to subscribe or to unsubscribe – I have mentioned this point in my article on Effective Email Marketing and would add here as well. You should keep your registration and email subscription and un-subscription very simple.
- Over packing your emails – At times this becomes a problem as to what you should have in your email and what you should not have. Having too many good things in one email can have lukewarm response from your user for each of them.
Social Media Marketing Mistakes
- Ignoring your online reputation – When it comes to social Media Marketing it’s always your online reputation that would work.
- Not building your online profile – If you are doing social media marketing just for some quick traffic forget it. Social media traffic can give some good stats in your analytics, it’s always good to have a go at long term goals and concentrate more on conversion.
- Not focusing on relationships – Social Marketing is all about relationship and so you should focus more on making friends rather than making sales and promoting your business.
- Not updating your blog regularly – I have mentioned this before quite a few times and would repeat it here once again. No matter what you do online if people want to read more about you they should have an option of visiting your blog and having regular updates on blog.
Any other blunders would you like to add to this list?
Readers who read this article also read …