I see lot of companies trying to make a sale by building a brand where as ideally it should be the product that should build the brand of the company and not the other way round of building a brand with marketing to sale the product.
I can give so many examples where building the right product is the right way forward
- Google as a product for searching build the Google brand.
- Facebook as a product for social media build the Facebook brand.
- The products of Honda is what makes Honda a Honda.
- Apple is an Apple because of its superior quality hardware.
- Horlicks itself is a brand now because of its product. We may not even realize it is by GSK
And I can just go on and on and on.
The trend these days is to build a brand and make a sale. Recently have seen so many ads (Flipkart, Vodafone … ) that don’t focus on the features of the product but focus on building the brand of the company so you remember the name of the company which is one among the many to have the same kind of product line to offer.
Do you agree on the fact that building a great product is the right approach and it is your product that should be the building block for your brand and not your brand that should sell the products? Share your views in comments.
Readers who read this article also read …