Amazon India Easy Ship Program alternatives are FBA Fulfilled by Amazon India & FBM Fulfilled by Merchant using Private Courier or Indian Postal Services
The main pain-point for any business wishes to sell online is to find a cost-effective and yet reliable and robust logistics solution. The same applies to a seller on Amazon India. Amazon India has done all the heavy lifting of its logistics solution so there is a peace of mind for its seller. They help you deliver your products to customers all over India hassle-free.
Amazon’s easy ship is one of the solutions towards making the life of the seller easier where they pick and deliver the product. You can read about Amazon India easy ship service here.
The easy ship service doesn’t make sense if you are selling the low-cost product. The cost of using easy ship service for a single product may go beyond the actual selling price of the product. So, a seller needs to find an alternative logistic solution to help him/her ship products at lower cost.
So here are 3 major alternatives to amazon easy ship for Amazon India seller. (By the if you still haven’t registered as a seller at Amazon India, here is the step by step guide.)
1. Fulfilled by Amazon (FBA)
Amazon India FBA is a different program offer by Amazon India itself. It is an alternative to Amazon easy ship program.
Under the Amazon India FBA program sellers stock, their products at Amazon’s fulfillment centers (warehouse) and upon receiving an order amazon does the picking, packing, shipping, delivery, and product return on behalf of them.
Amazon charges a nominal amount (if FBA charges are a concern, optimize the product listing to make more sales and cover up the cost) to sellers to provide product delivery services across India. Read about Amazon India FBA program, its benefits, how it works, how to enroll for FBA, and more importantly who should use the Amazon FBA service. Amazon’s FBA program offers many other benefits but I will re-iterate the key logistics benefits a seller can avail here.
Key Logistics Benefits of Amazon India FBA Program
- Faster product delivery
- Free delivery to Amazon Prime customer
- Better integrated logistic solution across India
- Sunday delivery (only to prime customers)
- Delivers product from Leh to Lakshadweep
- 150+ Amazon delivery offices across India
- 350+ third party product delivery stations (service partner network)
- 41+ Amazon India fulfillment centers (warehouse)
- 17500 product delivery stores in 225 cities (IHS program)
2. Merchant Fulfilled Network, MFN (Private Courier)
The second alternative to Amazon India easy ship service is MFN. Merchant fulfilled network (MFN) means the seller has to deliver products on his own using a private logistics or courier company like Blue Dart, FedEx or DHL.
There is no obligation on sellers to use Amazon’s logistics solution. When a seller opts out of Amazon Easy Ship as well as FBA, they can go with any third party delivery company which is cost-effective.
Below is the list of top 14 courier companies in India that can be considered.
- First Flight
- Blue Dart
- The Professional Courier Services
- Shree Anjani Courier Services (P) Ltd.
- United Parcel Service (UPS)
- Gati Limited
- TNT Express
- eCOM Express
- Ship Rocket
Normally shipping charges of these company start with minimum Rs. 30/500 grams to maximum Rs. 80/500 grams with applicable taxes. You can check each site for their rates.
Private courier companies come with limited options:
- Service available on selected pin codes in India
- They don’t deliver in rural areas
- Limited to metro cities only
- No free delivery concept
- No delivery on Sunday & national holidays
- Minimum daily parcel criteria
- Complex product return structure
- High product return cost
- Higher product defect rate
- Small-scale warehouse facilities
- Products may deliver late
- Mandatory to use their packing material
- Can’t opt for payment on delivery services in Amazon
However, the above-mentioned points are generic and differ from one courier company to other. Consider all aspect before choosing the right logistics solution.
3. Indian Postal Service
Indian postal service has proved as one of the most reliable and accurate logistics solutions for e-commerce businesses in India. Indian Postal Services cover PAN India delivery. No private courier services can match “India post” in terms of serviceable pin codes across India. In fact, it is a preferred choice of logistics solution if you plan to consider launching your own e-commerce website.
It is one of the better alternatives to Amazon India Easy Ship program. Amazon India has a tie-up with Indian postal services.
Key Benefits of Indian Postal Services
- Capacity to process 30000 parcels per day
- Most trusted Indian postal facility
- The commercial tie-up with Amazon India
- Government authenticated premium brand
- Custom product delivery plans
- No mandatory product packing requirements
- Easy consignment tracking system
Indian post allows you to calculate the shipping cost of your product using a variety of postal services including both domestic and international locations. It takes a maximum of 7 days at the most and minimum 3 days at least to deliver a product using postal services.
Before selecting an alternative to Amazon easy ship service a seller should consider the following factors.
- Shipping method (expedited or standard)
- Product type & its dimensions
- Seller & buyer locations
- The final weight of the parcel
- The profit margin on selling price
- Product return cost
My advice will be to try Amazon FBA first. If things don’t work out, try Indian postal service then.
Further Reading …