ThePlanet is acquired by SoftLayer
Many times I am asked what host do I use for Go4Expert and do I actually use any of the shared host I suggest here. Actually I have used them in the past but currently I do not use shared hosting but have my own dedicated server at ThePlanet and so today I will review my own hosting experience with ThePlanet.
- If they offer a promotion for new customer they will not offer you the same reduced pricing as an old customer however if you find that your server has some promotion and if you talk with the support it can make your server cheaper for the rest of our life.
- Cloud hosting is the future and rackspacecloud have started offering cloud sites where you host your site on the cloud and forget about it but ThePlanet has no such cloud hosting. They do offer cloud servers but cloud servers do not mean they fulfill are your complete hosting needs. You still need an extra server to host PHP and MySQL.
- One of the main reasons for me to move from GoDaddy VPS to ThePlanet was they have very affordable dedicated servers and offer wide range of servers.
- I have moved to ThePlanet in January 2009 and soon in next six months time I had to upgrade the server couple of times before moving to a better server and each time upgrade hardly had any downtime. RAM Upgrades, CPU upgrades all were done with no complains from my users.
- When moving to a better server they refunded the money left on the old server which was not expected on my end but it just made me felt good.
- Very good support and at times go far beyond to help me out. I suspected a DDoS attack on my server and they really helped me get it solved.
I will definitely recommend ThePlanet to users looking for dedicated servers.
If you have more experience to share about ThePlanet do post them in comments.