When it comes to marketing your website in social networking platforms I never had great success but was always had ok success. I was never able to hit digg / stumble first page not because its something not possible but I was not very much dedicated to doing it. When it comes to using advertising services in social media marketing I also not had great success but was ok with my campaigns Read Facebook Ads – A Review and Advertising with StumbleUpon to see how I experimented with Social Networking Ad Platform and was disappointed with its results but when it comes to twitter I am seeing great results and so I thought I would share some tips on how you could also get traffic to your site from twitter.
First Sign-up for twitter if you do not have an account for your website. This should be different from your personal account if you have one. I prefer to have different account for different websites. Go4Expert, MBAGuys, CodeItWell are my profiles for my websites for obvious reasons. Then visit twitterfeed.com and create a twitter feed account. Twitterfeed offers to tweet the published content in RSS feed. This helps me in reducing the tweet management of all my accounts and they appear more often in the public timeline.
Just having the default account is not good and so get the account with basic information like your website url and the BIO which can be same as your websites meta description. Change the design of twitter page to match your sites style. Now its all done about the account and now login to your twitterfeed.com account and authenticate your twitter account to be updated with the content of your feed. These would mean you have tweets coming each time you make some posts in your blog or threads created in your forum or any other activity in your feed. You can also have multiple feed url’s to be updated to one twitter account.
Next thing you should do is have your “follow us on twitter” link on your website where you think people would have highest visibility. I have an added benefit that my twitter page of Go4Expert is PR4 and so now I have a PR4 link from twitter page to Go4Expert.com. So having a twitter link apart from getting followers can work this way as well.
Now after you have done all the basics of setup, next thing you should do is get some followers. If you start following people you would see that majority of them would revert the same by following you and in process you would see lots of things like you would get some direct messages. The next thing you would do is try to setup direct message to whoever follows you but its not the functionality of twitter but again its by third party tool. Check out Social Oomph. Some of the features which I think are worth mentioning are
- Schedule tweets – Publish tweets when you know your international followers are online and you’re asleep.
- Manage Multiple Twitter accounts with ease
- Send Direct Messages to new followers automatically. I don’t do that currently but this is what I plan to do soon.
- Purge your Direct Message Inbox instead of pain to manually delete Direct Messages from your Inbox.
- Manage Direct Messages like your email Inbox With Automatic SPAM Control
- Schedule replies to Direct Messages
- Broadcast Direct Messages to all your followers.
- Filter human profiles and avoid spammy accounts
- You may not want to un-follow but you can mute annoying tweeters.
- Follow those who follow you and un-follow those who un-follow you Automatically
- Keyword searches – You can search for Twitter users who tweet about those topics.
So if you are trying to promote your business on twitter do not try your hands with manually doing everything because that would not get you much deeper but try services like Social Oomph. If you have some more success tips to share do leave them in comments.